Wednesday, October 20, 2010

"Please help me protect my family and preserve my legacy" Invitation to brainstorm!

In one of the many commemorative issues that magazines put out for Michael Jackson, there is a quote from one that often comes to my mind. Especially lately.

It is from "The Source
and L.Londell McMillan, the owner and publisher of the magazine quotes Michael as saying the following to him:

"Please help me protect my family and preserve my legacy". 

Initially, I thought Michael was referring to his children and his musical legacy. But the more time that passes convinces me that it is much more than just this.


For example, I think we (MJ Fans) are part of his legacy. Whenever I try to imagine what Michael may have been feeling or thinking during the difficult times in his life, I feel sure that one of the hardest things for him to endure was his inability to help others on the same kind of scale that he had been doing.


As hopefully you all know by now, his humanitarian efforts were extraordinary. He routinely would donate all his profits from each concert, performance, appearance or interview to charity. For a detailed list of what he has done please visit "The Silenced Truth" website. (Click on the name)


And even though I have decided to continue with my little stories, the advocate in me is not stopping. I have shared some of my ideas with a few MJ friends and I want to include them in a post in the hope that it will encourage others to share their thoughts and ideas.


1. There is currently several campaigns concerning Mr. Martin Bashir and having MSNBC fire him - which I support wholeheartedly. 


But I don't want ABC, Granada Television and ITV to be let off the hook. They funded and profited from the objectionable 'current affairs film' (I refuse to call it a documentary and Mr. Bashir's own name for it is very appropriate in my opinion).  I've put a suggestion to a few MJ fan-mily members that we focus on the fact that Mr. Bashir and his associates have not appeared to have made the donation to the British charities that was promised to Michael to secure that interview.


This is one instance where we can funnel our anger into getting restitution. In addition to the 250,000 GBP that were promised to charity, I'd like to see Disney do more. I think it would be wonderful if we could convince them to have a Michael Jackson day at their Disneyland theme parks - not just in the United States but at all their venues. Reminiscent of Michael's spirit, they could open their doors to under privileged & sick children and give the children a day to remember. After all that was what Neverland was all about, not the false representation in the 'current affairs film' they bought and distributed.


Don't you think Michael would love that? I thought his birthday, August 29th would be perfect. In the northern hemisphere it is summer then.


2. SONY. Now I just have to laugh at them. I've read many things about them and whilst I haven't completely made up my mind about the full extent of their role in MJ's life and death, I am certain that they are, at the very least, guilty of a failure to recognise the treasure that was Michael Jackson.

Today, I noticed that there is a new box DVD set being promoted, for sale in November. They are advertising it as an "Epic/Legacy Recordings" release! I mean, how dumb do they think we are?


Anyway, there has been much talk of whether to boycott Sony - which could prove to be a difficult choice for many MJ fans - myself included.


But there is another option. Seeing as they do seem to know we (the fans) are contemplating this, couldn't we convince them to be more "Michael-like". By this I mean what if they agreed to match MJ fans donations to approved charities (I'm thinking of 'A Million Trees for Michael' and 'Heal the World for Children' when they both get officially approved, of course)? That way we could purchase new Michael material guilt free, knowing that by doing so we were contributing to his legacy.


to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment