Wednesday, October 20, 2010

In the beginning...

Hello all,

What has lead to me joining the ranks of so many others and create my own MJ inspired blog?

             Well, that's simply really - his name is MICHAEL JACKSON.


I am one of those MJ fans who "abandoned him to the witch hunt" as Madonna so eloquently put it at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards.

I first became a MJ fan in 1991. I remember very clearly because his "Black or White" video premiere was made into a TV special here in Australia.
 
So, whilst I wasn't necessarily a fan at that time, a new Michael Jackson video was an event.

An event guaranteed to be the topic of conversation at water coolers (and nearly everywhere else for that matter) the following day. And it was.

 

After the actual "Black or White" video, the programme aired some interview footage with a younger Michael. I guess MJ must have been 19 or 20 years old at the time.
The man fascinated me. His smile seemed to me, to radiate joy. And he was gorgeous! Simply gorgeous.


Yet in the preceding video his appearance was markedly altered. He was still incredibly attractive but his skin was noticeably lighter. I did not understand why.
 

Oprah interviewing MJ in 1993
You must understand this is before his 1993 interview with Oprah Winfrey where he explained that he has a disease called vitiligo.




However, it wasn’t just his change in appearance that intrigued me. I wondered why he seemed so much sadder and angrier too….I wondered why in videos like "Beat It", "Bad" and in the leopard sequence following the "Black or White" song, he was so obviously unhappy about things. I did not understand at all.

Over the next few years I learnt a little more about MJ and my admiration for him grew and grew. Not just for his undeniable talent but also for the man himself.



When the first lot of allegations began, I was torn. I was naïve enough to think that the allegations would not have progressed the way they did unless there was some cause but on the other hand I found it difficult to imagine the lovely man I felt I had come to know, could be capable of what he was being accused of.

Eventually, I purchased a copy of ‘GQ’ magazine that had the article:

The Untold Story
Mary A. Fischer
GQ, October 1994


Finally, here was a piece of investigative journalism that appeared to take ALL the facts into account. I was relieved that I could now support MJ wholeheartedly based on that article. The arguments presented in it appeared fair and honest.

Actually, it was the divorce from Lisa Marie Presley that was the thing that made me stop following MJ. To my surprise, I had been delighted with their marriage so I was disappointed that it ended.


Back then, due to my lack of real understanding, I felt MJ had some self-destructive tendencies and as I have a history of running in the opposite direction when a loved one exhibits those tendencies, I ran from him.

Then in 2005, initially I refused to follow that awful trial. But the media was so adamant, confident and persistent in their assertions that he was going to be found guilty, I found myself reluctantly compelled to observe the trial re-enactments.

I was astounded that there no basis whatsoever presented for the claims. Every day I prepared myself for some devastating revelation that would justify the claims. But they never came…

I have read a good many entries from other MJ fans that realised too late what a treasure he was and I share their feelings of guilt. Because in my heart I was sure he was innocent all along but I never shared that, I never shouted it or even whispered it......








  

Make that change!

OK, Michael I will. I will write it down here. I am going to support you, in my own way, by sharing stories I’ve written about you and for you.


These stories arose out of a desire to have some justice for you. I intend to insert as many links as I can to all the wonderful sites from other MJ fans that are actively seeking, and sometimes, demanding the justice you so richly deserve.

2 comments:

  1. Karen, I've read your personal story. It is very sad and heartbroken. I think that is common story for many of MJ's fans. But it isn't my story. I am glad that we became friends. But I would like tell with you by private e-mail not in the open blog. Please, give me your e-mail and I'll Be There))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darril, you can email me at karenktf@gmail.com.

    When I was trying to find another way to contact you I saw you have used "Keep the Faith" as your blog name. Is this one of your favorite MJ songs?

    It is one of mine, along with a dozen or so others!

    ReplyDelete