Wednesday, October 20, 2010

First act of advocacy - Why don't they compare apples with apples?

First published October 5, 2010.

After my last posting, I remembered something. I had actually done my first act of advocacy back in October 2009.

This was when I still looked towards the mainstream media for MJ news (I know better now of course!) but I was getting increasingly frustrated with all the negativity.  Rarely did anyone seem to have a kind word for our beloved Michael.

I am embarrassed to actually admit this but I was watching "The Insider" and they had a guest, Bethenny Frankel on. They were discussing Michael Jackson (I have tried in vain to find a transcript so I can be accurate) and Ms. Frankel said that the Michael Jackson 2005 trial was just like the O.J Simpson case.

Now, she is probably not the first (or, unfortunately, the last) to make this kind of comment but it made me furious. What was the word Mr. Mesereau used to describe his reaction to media coverage of Michael Jackson during the trial? Oh yes, 'apoplectic'. Yes, I was apoplectic too.

I fumed and stewed and then fumed some more until eventually I jumped onto "The Insider" website and posted a comment.

It was pretty brief and I think it went something like this:

"I would like to point out to Ms. Frankel that a glaringly obvious difference between the Michael Jackson and O.J Simpson trials was the fact that there was no doubt in OJ's case that a crime HAD occurred. There were unfortunately the two deceased people, Nicole Brown & Ron Goldman.

In Michael Jackson's case there was no proof of any crime, only accusations which is why he was acquitted on all counts when the jury failed to believe the accuser's version."
Of course, there are many more instances of people (in the media and in the general public) that do this kind of thing to Michael. Another 'comparison' I am heartily sick of is the one to Anna Nicole Smith. Whilst I will concede that both are reported to have died from legal prescription drugs I think the significance of having a medical doctor present and administering the drugs makes it a unique situation compared to a self-administered overdose. Two completely different propositions, in my opinion.

Next posting will contain my more recent efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment