Tuesday, May 24, 2011

MICHAEL AND THE PRESIDENTS

I wanted to mark what I hope is a momentous shift in USA’s perception of Michael Jackson. I am not speaking out of turn when I say that Michael’s own country treated him appallingly. I have seen these same sentiments expressed by my American friends on numerous occasions.

So it was with tremendous delight that I read this account two weeks ago:
 FORT CAMPBELL, Kentucky, May 6 (UPI) -- With a military band playing Michael Jackson's "Thriller," U.S. President Obama Friday met with special ops personnel involved in the Osama bin Laden raid.
Obama and Vice President Joe Biden flew into Fort Campbell, Kentucky, to meet with those involved in the Abbottabad, Pakistan, Navy SEAL raid that left the founder and leader of the al-Qaida terrorist network dead.
Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2011/05/06/Obama-meets-SEALs-in-bin-Laden-raid/UPI-94491304670600/#ixzz1M2Y00OCi

To have Michael Jackson associated with a moment in his countries history that is a source of pride and celebration to most, if not all, Americans truly warms my heart. It is such a refreshing change after decades of him being an object of ridicule. And to my mind, it is evidence that a turning point has been reached. I imagine that protocol would dictate that any ceremonies the President and Vice President are planned in minute detail, with every decision given careful consideration. That would include any songs played by the military band. If Michael was still perceived to be a highly controversial character, surely they would not have selected one of his songs?

Adding immeasurably to my enjoyment of this aspect is that it has occurred despite the media’s ongoing efforts to disparage Michael. I will be discussing those efforts in other postings I am working on. 
 
Immediately following Michael’s death, President Obama’s comments were disappointingly neutral – his official comments at any rate. In this video he is questioned on this very subject. 


I remember feeling hurt by this myself. Even though he is the American President, the election of Barack Obama really captured the imagination of the worldwide population. In fact, I’d say while his support was perhaps a 60/40 ratio in the United States that percentage was way higher overseas – maybe even as high as 90/10.

For me personally, I had become very interested in American politics through the Kennedy family. I decided to look into them, because they were so beloved, icons throughout the world and I wanted to know why.


I started reading about President Kennedy and then branched out to books on the extended family. My favorite member of that family is undoubtedly Robert Kennedy. “Man in the Mirror” is one of my favorite Michael Jackson songs but I always have to look away or fast forward the section that has footage of RFK’s fatally wounded body following his assassination. The Kennedy’s as leaders really appealed to my idealistic side.


I remember thinking that it was such a shame that I was born in the year RFK was assassinated. That ‘such a one’ appears so rarely that it was unlikely to happen again in my lifetime. But then President Obama came along and he exemplifies all that I think an American President should be. Handsome, extremely intelligent, witty with a drop dead gorgeous family – and a Democrat – perfection!


I guess I should not have been so surprised that he was cautious in what he said about Michael – after all that is part of his appeal, that he is not someone prone to making impulsive decisions. Instead, he strikes me as one who gives careful consideration to whatever he decides, including what comments he makes.

Perhaps it is naïve of me, but whenever I admire someone I assume they will like the same people I do - but that is not always the case. In any event, I wish I could find the other video I’ve seen from July 2009. In it, President Obama is seen with the European leaders in an unguarded moment at the conference they were attending. He has his back to the camera and he and the other leaders are discussing the passing of Michael Jackson. I recollect him saying emphatically that Michael Jackson was the best ever. The thing I loved most was that I felt his pride in Michael as he said this, pride that the greatest entertainer ever was an American. Pride also that the greatest entertainer ever was an African American? As soon as I do locate the video, I will insert it into this post.

I see the inclusion of ‘Thriller’ at the ceremony as a return to Michael’s rightful place – as an American treasure. Below you will see a montage I’ve put together of Michael with 4 consecutive American Presidents.


Michael’s visit to the Reagan White House in May 1984 followed a get well soon letter the President sent to Michael after the pyrotechnics accident that occurred during the filming of a Pepsi commercial a few months earlier.


Here is a video collection of the news reports of that visit as put together by a fan. I love seeing what a gentleman Michael is, notice how solicitous he is towards the First Lady, Nancy Reagan at 00:04:34 and again at 00:06:33. Katherine Jackson sure raised him right!

 
Here is another gem a fan has put together. I can't resist including it too!


April 5th 1990 – “Michael meets with President Bush at the White House Rose Garden ceremony to be honored as Entertainer of the Decade by the Capital Children’s Museum.” (Source: mjjtimeline.blogspot.com)


May 1st 1992 – “Michael is in Washington to accept a Point Of Light Award from President Bush.” (Source: mjjtimeline.blogspot.com)

Here is a video of this event. It is brief, which is fortunate as it is of such poor quality. But the color photo stills at the very end are very good!


The start of 1993 continued the US Presidents connections with Michael Jackson. Michael performed “Gone Too Soon” and “Heal the World” at President Clinton’s inauguration. Here is a video of that performance.


Four months later Michael is invited by former president Jimmy Carter to Atlanta in order to boost the Atlanta Immunisation Drive. Afterwards, Michael joins Ted Turner, Jane Fonda, Emmanuel Lewis & Lisa Marie Presley in the front row during the Kids Celebration at OMNI. (Source: mjjtimeline.blogspot.com)



But another four months later the Beggar Boy family starts their public smear campaign and well…you know what happened then…all hell broke loose.

This is one person’s take on that – I just love this sentiment – even if it appears to be from Dominic Cascio (whose family is somewhat controversial due to the posthumous Michael album).

 
Unfortunately, President Clinton was unable to ‘stop the reporters from bothering Michael Jackson”. Instead during the latter years of his presidency he would fight his own battle with an insatiable media. It would not be until the new millennium when he was out of office that he would be free to resume his cordial relationship with Michael. 


Foreign leaders filled the void during the remainder of the 1990’s – most notably the South African president, Nelson Mandela.

 “Dear Jackson family,

It is with great sadness that we learnt of the untimely death of Michael Jackson. Michael became close to use after he started visiting and performing in South Africa regularly.
We became fond of him and he became a close member of our family. We had great admiration for his talent and that he was able to triumph over tragedy on some many occasions in his life.

Michael was a giant and a legend in the music industry and we mourn with the millions of fans worldwide. We also mourn with his family and his friends over the loss of a dear friend. He will be missed and memories cherished of him for a long time.

Be strong,

Nelson Mandela
7 July 2009

 Former South Korean President Kim Dae-Jung, who had met Jackson, said: “We lost a hero of the world.”




Michael Jackson visiting Namibia in 1998. In the picture Michael Jackson is shaking hands with the then President of Namibia; now Founding President of Namibia Dr. Sam Nujoma and Chief of Protocol, at the time, Patrick Nandago in the background (now Namibia's Ambassador to the USA).

2 comments: