Monday, April 4, 2011

Photoshop artists debate


This clever Photoshop artist sparked some discussion on Facebook. I was disappointed that a lot of it was critical. Many fans seemed to think that there is no need to generate photos of Michael because enough photos exist already.

Those readers familiar with my blogs will probably guess where I stand on this subject. I have regularly used pieces originating from talented MJ fan-artists. I pick the photos that best match my story or demonstrate the point I’m trying to make. It is true that there are plenty of photos of Michael Jackson – for example on www.fanpop.com there was over 95,000 photos of Michael the last time I checked. It is not surprising really, given the extent of Michael’s fame and the length of time he has been in the public eye.

Instead of condemning others for producing more images of Michael, I applaud them. For me personally, one positive aspect amidst the grief and pain of losing Michael has been the resurgence of my own creativity. I’ve been inspired to write down my little stories; on the odd occasion I’ve fashioned my own artwork and I’ve even made one or two videos for YouTube. I’m very proud of all these items – I guess I had come to the conclusion that I was not the arty type after all – but now, my very favorite past time is trying to convert the stories I’ve concocted in my head into text. To select images that will replicate the story as I see it in my mind’s eye.

By Val Erie

It’s such an enjoyable experience for me – creating these items for my blogs. If other fans feel as I do then I have no desire to disparage their efforts. If they have been inspired to write poetry, to sing, to sculpt, to develop choreography, to dance, to paint or to use Photoshop then I say ‘go for it!’  Anything done out of love for Michael is welcomed as far as I am concerned. 


But perhaps not just me - Michael adored his fans and loved receiving artwork from them. In Part 6 of the ‘Living with Michael Jackson’ transcript, we see Michael imploring his staff to collect even more artwork from his fans. In the below photos look at the way he is checking out the fans artwork – he is not simply humoring them; he is genuinely interested in seeing what they have made for him.


Now, of course, that doesn’t mean that he would have loved every single item. But I don’t think he would want to discourage others from expressing themselves in a way that works for them.


I wanted to write that I thought it was possible Michael would have loved the Marlon Brando homage by the Photoshop artist but it was just my opinion. Whilst I certainly feel like I’ve gained a much better understanding of who Michael really is, I appreciate that I am nowhere near expert status.

Sometimes the fact that it takes me so long to complete my postings (usually several days at least) pays off. Like today, when I was visiting a fantastic blog I’ve recently discovered I found this gem.

“Artwork created by Christophe Boulmé in 1993 to surprise Michael and he loved it so much that he later included it in the HIStory Booklet.”

This artwork is Photoshop too, or at least a version of it. So if he loved this isn’t it possible that he would have loved the Marlon Brando inspired piece as well?

I’m in total awe of some of the artwork these fans have created. A lot of it is truly stunning and I love featuring it in my blogs. Look at this one below – a fan has taken frames from the official short film for ‘The Way You Make Me Feel’ and the performance of that same song at the 30th Anniversary Concert special. Michael hits the dance step exactly the same! How impressive is that? (And I mean both Michael and the fan that made this…)


And this one, I have no idea how this was done but boy is it clever!


No comments:

Post a Comment