Thursday, December 30, 2010

New Year's Eve - time for reflections and resolutions...

Yes, it's that time of year again. New Year's Eve - the perfect time to reflect on the year that has just passed and make plans for the New Year that is just about to begin.

You may have noticed, I love filling my blogs with photos. When thinking of this subject, 2010 - The Year in Review, I originally expected to have a photo of Michael, but then I came across this one (I collect photos of MJ & his kids and only require the flimsiest of excuses to include them in my blog!).

For me, some of the highlights of this year have definitely come from these three children so it is somewhat fitting they start this posting off.

JANUARY 31st - 52nd Grammy Awards 


First there was a performance of ‘Earth Song’ where Michael’s vocals are accompanied by Celine Dion, Usher, Carrie Underwood, Jennifer Hudson and Smokey Robinson whilst a 3D mini movie (taken from This is It) plays.


I watched it again just now and I enjoyed it even more than when I first saw it (despite the tears streaming down my face).  I guess that’s because the first time, I knew Prince & Paris were supposed to be making an appearance after the song, and I was anxious to see them.

The other thing I recall from the original viewing of the ‘Earth Song’ performance was thinking at the time how the choice of song was particularly appropriate. The devastating earthquake in Haiti had happened less than 3 weeks prior to the Grammy’s broadcast. But despite the round the clock TV news coverage, it seemed to me that few in the media were making the connection that our actions have caused the catastrophes that have plagued the world in the last decade. That to me is what the ‘Earth Song’ lyrics are all about - Michael telling us to “Look at what we’ve done to the world” before it is too late.

It amazes me that day after day, I would watch TV anchors reporting on the latest tsunami, hurricane, earthquake or other unprecedented weather event and not one mentions global warming or humankind’s destructive impact on the earth. So the decision to have the ‘Earth Song’ performed before Lionel Richie presented the Michael Jackson's Recording Academy Lifetime Achievement Award to Prince & Paris was a very timely one.

Paris had spoken so poignantly and beautifully at her father’s memorial but this was to be the first opportunity we would get to hear Prince speak. He was very impressive I thought. Sure, he was a tad nervous and stumbled over his words in places but overall he came across as a remarkably self assured young man. A real credit to Michael…
 


Prince:
Thank you, thank you
We are proud to be here to accept this award on behalf of our father Michael Jackson
First of all we’d like to thank God for watching over us for these past seven months
And our grandma and grandpa for their love and support
We would also like to thank your fans...the fans
Our father loved you so much because you are always there for him
Our father was always concerned about the planet and humanity
Through all his hard work and dedication he has helped the many charities and donated to all of them
Through all his songs his message was simple; love
We will continue to spread his message and help the world
Thank you
We love you daddy

Paris:
Daddy was supposed to be here, daddy was going to perform this year
But he couldn’t perform last year
Thank you, we love you daddy

The camera returned to Beyonce a few times to capture her reaction to the Michael Jackson tribute. She was obviously feeling Michael’s vocals throughout “Earth Song” and looked adorable in her 3D glasses. In the below interview with Tyra Banks she talks about this night and what Michael Jackson means to her.
 More Michael love from Beyonce here...

Her husband JayZ gave me another memorable moment in January. He was interviewed after the remake of “We are the world” for Haiti and he said:
“I know everybody is gonna take this wrong: ‘We Are the World,’ I love it, and I understand the point and think it’s great,” Jay told MTV News in Dallas this weekend. “But I think ‘We Are the World’ is like ‘Thriller’ to me. I don’t ever wanna see it touched.” He went on: “I know the plight and everything that’s going on in Haiti. I applaud the efforts…but ‘We are the World’ is untouchable like ‘Thriller’ is untouchable. Some things are just untouchable. It was a valiant effort, but for me, it’s gonna be untouchable.”
Simon Vozick-Levinson writes: 
Instead, Jay-Z suggested that it might have been a better idea to record an entirely new song for Haiti relief — like, for instance, “Stranded,” the tune he performed last month at the Hope for Haiti Now telethon with Rihanna, Bono, and the Edge.
I agree with this and I have a feeling Michael would have too. I can imagine him wanting to be involved in a new song - perhaps even writing it himself - just like he did for the 2004 Tsunami and Hurricane Katrina. Like JayZ, I didn't care for the thought of a "We are the World" remake and actually only saw it for the first time a few weeks ago. Even then I only watched it because I knew they left Michael's parts alone...

I must say, I really liked the new version. Particularly as they have added Haiti specific lyrics at the end by Wycleaf and Will I Am.
 
We didn’t get to see Blanket during the ceremony but later this photo was released.
Seeing as I am the Queen of Wishful thinking I must include this one too!


 FEBRUARY 23rd - Captain Eo returns to Disneyland

 
I've only seen the delightful Captain EO on YouTube (I'm so grateful that all of us overseas fans can do that - at least until we get the opportunity to visit Disneyland).
 
It’s a fun little short film, shot in 1986 and it’s the classic tale of the underrated hero who encounters an evil adversary but wins them over with his powerful charms, saving the day for everyone.  It's about 17 minutes long - in two parts. Here they are if you want to see it for yourself!

I’m so pleased that a new generation of Disneyland visitors will get exposed to the magic of Michael Jackson!





MARCH

APRIL


MAY


JUNE - Remarkable ways MJ fans commemorated the one year anniversary.


JULY


AUGUST– The highlight of the month for me was stumbling upon the online MJ fan community. I knew of course that Michael had a great many fans but I didn’t know that they could be an alternative to the conventional media. It was such a revelation! And I am literally in awe of what the fans do on a daily basis in the name of Michael Jackson.


SEPTEMBER - Million Trees for Michael now have their first forest. 15,000 trees.


Prince doing some humanitarian work – showing everyone that he is following in his Daddy’s footsteps.



On a personal level, it was on the 10th September that I posted my first entry in my other blog, thus fulfilling a long held ambition of mine to write.



OCTOBER


 This was such a joyous occasion that it warrants two photos (Well, I did say earlier I only needed the teeniest excuse!)


NOVEMBER


DECEMBER 19th- Heal the World for Children getting its official UK registration as a licensed charity.


What are your New Year's Resolutions?




Usually I don’t make New Year’s resolutions. Because they would be the usual ones – diet, exercise and give up smoking - which I won’t actually follow through on until I am ready. For example, I have stopped smoking but I did so mostly by accident. I cut down the amount I was smoking due to financial concerns until it was just as easy to quit completely – so I did.

But this year, my New Year’s Resolutions are all Michael related and I feel, not only inspired, but compelled to see them come to fruition.

My New Year Resolutions:


1. Pursue confirmation that the 250,000 pound donation Bashir was supposed to make to get to interview Michael Jackson has been paid. IF it has not been paid then continue with campaign until it has.


Here are the steps I’ve taken this year on behalf of this campaign.
  1. Ascertain if donation was made: Sent email to Seven of www.mjj-777.com David Edwards of www.vindicatemj.wordpress.com Asked the team at www.thesilencedtruth.com
  2. Post first chapter of “The Other Jackson Five” on the www.mjpopculture.blogspot.com . This is my creative writing blog. This particular tale is designed to tell the story of the donation in a light hearted and (hopefully) entertaining way. I only created this second blog when I felt the need to do more for Michael.
  3. Contact Rev. Catherine Gross from A Place in your Heart Blog Talk Radio & Catherine Coy from www.mjtruthnow.com  to see if they would be interested in supporting a campaign of this nature.
  4. Sent email to Mr. Mesereau asking him for any helpful information about the donation.
  5. Go on Rev. Catherine’s show Power of the Bloggerview: The Power of the Pundit Part 2 to discuss Bashir’s role. You can download this radio show for free by going to the website www.blogtalkradio.com/a-place-in-your-heart. While you are there, check out the other shows Rev. Catherine has done, she has great interviews with Larry Nimmer, Rev. Barbara Kaufman, Dr. Patrick Treacy plus many, many more.
  6. Post Bashir IS a Cheater! According to both Michael Jackson and Tom Mesereau... Detailing the circumstances surrounding the donation, and outlining the agreements.
  7. Post Transcripts and Analysis on the 90 minute ‘Living with Michael Jackson’ film. (There are 9 parts in total – and I’m currently up to Part 5). Raven Woods from www.allforloveblog.com has very kindly posted the transcripts on her blog as well. I’m so grateful to Raven for this because my blog is still fairly new so she has allowed those posts to get more exposure than they would otherwise get.

I’ve got a few more ideas in mind, after I’ve completed the transcripts. These include:

1.      Send letter to Bashir/ITV/Granada Television on behalf of The Silenced Truth website asking for confirmation that payment had been made and to which charities so that the list of Michael Jackson’s charitable acts can be updated.
2.      Hold “Cheater” flash mob events outside ITV and MSNBC offices. I am going to attempt to contact two very well known choreographers; Ashley Banjo in the UK and Wade Robson in the US. I’m aiming high I know but both have been vocal in citing Michael as their biggest inspiration. So I am hoping that means they’d be willing to help if approached to do so.
3.      Arrange for an open letter in a reputable UK newspaper and a US one as well to Bashir/ITV/Granada TV/Nivea/ABC/Disney/MSNBC requesting them to make good on the donation.
4.      Seeing as Mr. Bashir once reached No. 5 in a poll of the 100 Worst Britons, I think MJ fans should focus a little energy and get Mr. Bashir bumped up to his rightful place - No. 1 on that poll. After all, we are very experienced with getting our beloved to No. 1!
5.      Another tongue in cheek idea I had – I’ve included this in the story I did for my other blog – was to have MJ fans make piƱatas for children hospitals and charities. (In my story they are donkey shaped and have BASH HERE written on them). I thought this might be a great way for creative minded MJ fans to vent their anger at Mr. Bashir. It’s subtle but makes a point, and better still it helps brighten the day of both the child who receives it and the MJ fan that made it. Here is the helpful instruction link if you are one of those crafty MJ fans.


I would love everyone to give me their suggestions on what more we can do or if you think you can help in some way with any of the above, I would welcome that!

2. Michael's birthday present - September 2011. Raise enough funds for 2 families from the Ronald McDonald House to be treated to an all expenses paid day out (a la Neverland) at the Royal Show in Melbourne, Australia - my home town.
Million Trees for Michael - 17,761 trees - this is their year end total for 2010.


3. Donating to the A Million Trees for Michael - I want to try to have the trees in my own state - Victoria. In February 2009 we suffered from devastating bushfires, Americans describe it as wildfires. 173 people died on that day, you might even remember this iconic image...

Look at the blackened tree behind. Koala's get most of their moisture from the eucalyptus leaves which is what Michael is feeding this koala in the below photo. This was during his 1985 visit to Australia.


Had to throw in another koala shot...


That is one happy looking koala!
(I must go now so I apologise for the incomplete posting but I wanted to have it posted in 2010! I will complete it early next week.)

See you next year!





3 comments:

  1. Hi Karen, Love your New Year's post. This is the first time I have seen your blog, as I am on holiday now and have more time to browse around. I have a friend in Australia who has a few extra copies of Ever After. She would be happy to mail one to you if you like, that would save a lot on postage. Just let me know and I will give her your email, or you hers. Happy New Year, thanks for all your efforts in the name of Michael!
    L.O.V.E.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brenda!

    Welcome and thanks for your kind comment. I would love to be able to purchase a copy of Ever After from that Australian contact of yours...I'll email you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apologies to any of my readers who are annoyed at the incomplete postings.

    Ideally I would love to be able to post it in its entirety the first time but with working full time, trying to keep up with the MJ news and reading other blogs, this is the best I can do...

    ReplyDelete